Friday, June 28, 2013

Weather forecasts, off the mark

Today, I visited Lake Biwa as I planned. I checked almost all the weather forecasts and totally expected calm, cloudy weather through the day, but they were all off the mark. When I got to the point I wanted to fish from, strong eastern wind blew and I felt it very difficult to fish from my canoe there. Then, I drove about half an hour to a small cove in the northern part of the lake. 

There as well, wind was strong, but I was barely able to fish there. My fishing style in Lake Biwa during this time of the year depends on how effectively I can find good weeds with schools of bait, but it was also very difficult to find them because of the wind. I almost felt I had to accept getting skunked, but how lucky I was today, I found a small weedy area in a corner of the cove. 

When I cast a Chugger Spook (NBL, Nickel with black back, one of my favorite colors) close to floating weeds and gave it a dog-walk action a few times, the water surface exploded. I set a hook firmly, and I had a good response to find the fish was not so small. The fight was very good, and I could finally land it, a nice moss back in Lake Biwa. Its body was greenish, and nice-looking bass that I seldom see around ponds near my place.



Over time, the wind got stronger and stronger, and the sky got clearer and clearer. Then I gave up fishing from my canoe, took a nap in my car, and started home.




Today's tackle: ABU 5500CA, Fenwick HMG HFC-555, Stren 14lb (Low-Vis Green); ABU 5000CDL (High Speed), Fenwick Boron-X X-953M (rebuilt), Stren 14lb (Clear Blue); ABU 5000 (palming), Fenwick HMG GTC-724J, Daiwa Astron ISO (red, #4); Heddon Chugger Spook, Zara Spook, Wounded Spook, Cordell Boy Howdy, Pico Pop, etc. 
  BF=3/13

No comments:

Post a Comment